News & Notices

Welcome to Arago Township!

Arago Township was organized in 1896, combining Townships 141 and 142, Range 35.  It was called Hay Creek Township at first, then changed to Eagle Lake.  A notice from the State Auditor said there already was an Eagle Lake Township.  The town board then changed it to Arago.  Arago was the name given to Potato Lake by Nicollet in 1843.  The name commemorates Domnique Francois Arago, a French astronomer.  It was changed back to Potato Lake because of the Jerusulem artichokes growing around the lake.  However the area was still called Hay Creek until the post office was started in 1897.  The Post Office was organized by Chas Martin in his log home.  Later it was in a frame building that was added on.  Then in 1899 another addition was built on.  This was the Fairview Hotel with a dance floor and dining room.  In 1907, a frame building, 12×20 feet was built by Henry Michel, on his property 1/2 mile north.  Chas Martin resigned and Mr. Michel became the post master and moved the post office to his new building.  Then in 1908 Michels sold 40 acres to David Short.  The sale included the residence, a store with stock of goods and the post office.  Mrs. Michel was the post mistress and so she resigned and Mrs. David Short was appointed as the new post mistress.  Then at some time their daughter, Daisy Rehard, served as the post mistress until the post office closed in 1955.

Events Happening

April 2024

sun
mon
tue
wed
thu
fri
sat
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
April 14, 2024

There are no events on this day.

Meeting Minutes & Agendas